I get calls all the time when the caller doesn’t know what kind of help they need, but they know they need something. The calls seem to break down to:
- A healthy “young” couple, aged 90. They were calling because someone said they should be ready. They didn’t know if it was too early to be planning.
- Out of state adult children, worried about their parents, but they just can’t seem to get them to move out of their big, rambling house with many stairs.
- A wife (or husband) who is so stressed because their spouse just isn’t the same anymore.
I start by getting to know everyone involved and what the concerns are. Some are worried about finances, some about issues of driving, sometimes how can just get their kids to stop worrying about them!
Together we start by looking at the following areas:
- Are the necessary documents in place: The Power of Attorney, Health Care Proxy, DNR (if desired) and others.
- Who is handling the finances? Is someone else aware of where everything is?
- Review of the home – it can be the safest place but also the most dangerous. We look at stairs, bathrooms, kitchens. One in four older adults (65+) falls each year, with one of five falls causing a head injury or broken bones.
- We can reorganize some homes so that you no longer go upstairs every day.
- Daily Living – Cooking, cleaning, showering, laundry, shopping. How do those go for you and in what areas do you need help?
- Are you living where you want? Have you considered Assisted Living?
- Healthcare – are you seeing the right physicians? Do you take medications? Do you take them correctly? Do you need an advocate to go to the doctor’s with you?
- Spirituality/Religion – we can talk about ways to bring that into your life if you are interested.
- Joy – Where have you found joy? It is important to remember to add it into your life.
It is possible to have happiness through your life. Together we can find it.
Call or email me now for a free phone/video consultation.